There are many devices used for the smooth functioning of a Network. The important devices are listed here below.
- Modem A peripheral that allows you to connect and communicate with other computers via telephone lines. A Modem can be external or internal to the computer.
- RJ-45 is the short form for Registered Jack-45.It is an eight-wire connector to connect computers on the LAN especially Ethernet which is a LAN developed by Xerox Corp along with DEC and Intel.
- Ethernet Card A special card used in the Ethernet model and the card contains connections for either coaxial or twisted pair cables.
- Hub is a hardware device used to connect several computers together. A Hub can be Active or Passive hub . If the hub amplifies the signal ,it is called as active hub.
- Switch is a device for segmenting the networks into different sub networks called Sub-nets or LAN segments. This helps in preventing the traffic overload in a network.
- Repeater device to amplify and restore a signal for a long distance transmission.
- Bridge This establishes an intelligent connection between two local networks with the same standard but with different types of cables.
- Router used to separate different segments in a network to improve performance and reliability This is similar to a Bridge but can handle different protocols.
- Gateway is a device to connect dissimilar networks. It makes an intelligent connection between a Local network and external networks with different structures.